One Thing I Know was a one-off book and web platform, made for Creative England, that gave experienced creatives a place to share their insights with the next generation.
Combining opinion pieces from some of the most successful names in the UK creative industries, along with illustration and design from exciting young talent, OTIK was published as a bible for anyone looking to start a creative business, collaboration or anything in-between.
After launching in May 2013, the book went on to sellout within three weeks and the website received 50,000 hits in its first month.
- Devising the original concept, identity & editorial direction - Commissioning all designers, freelance writers & artists - Ghost writing key content & editing freelance submissions - Managing the project’s budgets, staff & timelines
Yellow is an exciting web and book project that saw 52 of the world's most exciting artists artists illustrate 52 weeks of news.
The concept was to showcase that illustration is more than a medium of pretty pictures, by investigating what artists could bring to news coverage beyond traditional print and TV journalism.
A new piece is posted online every Monday – accompanied by a written account of the news that has been illustrated and an explanation from the artist about their process and intent – before the book was collected, Kickstarted and launched in late 2015.
-Devising the original concept & content strategy - Commissioning all artists & designers - Directing & editing all visual / written pairings - Planning all timelines & publishing options
OFF LIFE is the UK's only street press comic magazine. Packed full of interviews, features and original short comics, the magazine was founded in 2012 with an aim to spotlight modern illustration and comic art.
By distributing free-to-read in galleries, bars, coffee shops and creative hubs, the quarterly magazine has gained a readership of over 30,000 per issue in just under three years.
After launching as a purely print title, stocking in locations such as Tate Modern, Design Museum, and Rough Trade, the magazine's loyal following has allowed OFF LIFE to spread into live arts events, workshops, industry talks and even launch a web platform that has become a hub for industry news, opinion and artwork.
- Devising the magazine’s brand, market & direction - Project managing each issue’s budgets & time line - Commissioning & editing all content - Creative Directing each issue’s tone & identiy - Negotiating partnerships & collaborations
Features editor and editorial consultancy on launch issues.
Pickles is a unique football title combining alternative views and high design. In three years the title has picked up high profile supporters, a loyal readership and spawned live events with the likes of Nike Football.
- Consultancy on commissioning, content & editorial direction for early issues - Editing feature articles & key content in launch and early issues - Pitching & writing feature articles in later issues
Published by Visit England, this book was designed to promote English film locations to foreign production studios.
Featuring spreads of location doubles, feature articles about everything from production support to UK film talent - the book was sent to studios in dozens of countries and led to a spike in UK locations bookings.
- Devising content, flatplan, editorial style & identity - Sourcing & editing freelance material - Commissioning all photography & design
B+V Magazine #2
In 2015 I was placed as editor to launch B+V Magazine#2, an annual lifestyle magazine that pays homage to innovation, human endeavour and exploration in fields ranging from design and engineering to sports, the arts, business and travel.
My position as editor began at concept stage in January 2015 and ran through t o launch in September 2015.
- Devising the issue's tone, identity & editorial - Planning all content & commissioning freelance talent - Collaborating with designers, artists and printers to develop visuals - Working closely with stakeholders to ensure continuity and message
National Union of Teachers Magazine
Editor (fixed period)
In 2014 a change in staff and structure within The National Union of Teachers' (NUT) left the communications division with an opportunity to develop their magazine and web platforms.
With a readership of over 300,000 and a history going back two centuries, The Teacher Magazine is at the heart of the NUT - and the communications team were keen to see it updated.
While the design identity was unfortunately fixed due to long-running contracts, over the course of nine months I helped evolve the magazine's editorial strategy and tone; including introducing content such as columnists, op eds, infographic spreads and investigative features.
- Charged with developing the publications' editorial and content strategy - Reporting to key-stakeholders, including board and trustees - Undertaking the day-to-day running of the magazine - Commissioning writers, artists, photographers and data analysts - Projecting and allocating the magazine's annual budget.
The Marionette Unit
Startup London publisher TMU Workshop hired me through 2015 and 2016 to help filmmakers Azhur Saleem and James Boyle take their film script from screen to print.
The team were keen to capatalise on a trailer for their film, which had gone viral the year prior. Aside from raising funds for an eventual film, the goal of the book was to generate awareness of the new IP and keep fans of the trailer engaged.
Coming in on day one of the project, I assisted TMU with every aspect of the project, including:
- Proposing and commissioning artists - Market research for the book - Design and content; planning layout, tone and aesthetic - Print management - Helping plan marketing, sales strategy and route to market
Launched for Creative England, this web platform was designed to provide straightforward financial information for anyone looking to start or grow a business in film, music, publishing and the arts.
The site was joint funded by Arts Council England and Google, and launched in 2013 by then Business Secretary Vince Cable. It has since been applauded for the way it communicated complicated financial information to creative entrepreneurs that is both relatable and digestible.
- Developing original concept from brief to launch - Managing budget, timeline & staff - Devising and commissioning all written & visual content - Planning site architecture and tendering for design team